Caposey points out that many educators feel that new initiatives like the Common Core are being done to them. In response, he advocates for an implementation approach centered on collaboration between teachers and administrators. And he points out that "Collaboration is a learned skill that needs to be taught for education partnerships to work." Caposey suggests using the norms below to build greater collaboration:
- Common purpose and objectives for meetings must be established and articulated.
- All conversations must relate to the common purpose.
- Data and research must be valued above belief or judgment statements.
- Keep disagreements at a professional level, not a personal one.
- Once consensus is achieved, all must support the decisions.